Monday, July 12, 2010

On writing a Bad Guy

I love my characters. All of them. Every single one that I've ever written, from Princess Elizabeth (yes, unfortunately, named after myself) from when I was 12, to The Professor that I'm writing right now, to Alasdair, my rough, 'ranger'-type, Aragorn-inspired character( he really is one of my very favorites...).


Through all of the stories that I've started, all of the plot lines I've developed in my head, I've always, always known that there has to be a bad guy. An evil someone or other. A good friend who turns traitor. (Cliche, I know, but hey. If it works it works.) Bad Guy.


"But...but...I don't want to write a bad guy." The thought has run through my head a lot. Who wants to turn one of their characters bad? I mean, really, really bad? They aren't perfect, sure, but evil? Perish the thought!


Now, sometimes, when I sit down (like right now) with the intent on writing a Bad Guy, it's a little easier. Marginally.


How, and I say this from the POV of someone who always believes that happy endings are best, and that no one can be all bad, HOW do you write a Bad Guy? A guy (or girl, I suppose*) that everyone, including yourself, loves to hate? Hate? Sigh.


And here is the first hitch. I don't want to hate one of my characters. I know I should. I really should. I want to! I want to make a villain so....villainous that I can't WAIT to kill him off, cut off his head, dismember him entirely! Or, something like that. (Too much? Maybe locking him up indefinitely would be better?)



That is my goal for today, my challenge. To get the beginnings of a really wicked Bad Guy started. Even if its only in my brainstorming notebook. He doesn't need a name yet. Or even a purpose (although, taking over the world/empire/whatever seems like a good one). But s/he will be born, today, even if its only little tendrils, or smoky ideas. I have spoken.


*For some reason, its easier for me to hate a Bad Guy, rather than a Bad Girl...call me whatever you want, but this is how it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment