Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eragon


I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've had this book for a long...long...time. And only just recently found the desire to actually read it. Which is strange for me...Usually when I buy a book, its because I want to read it. For some reason, I bought this one just to have it.

My 13 year old sister will be proud of me for finally picking it up :)

Eragon is a farm boy who lives with his Uncle Garrow and cousin Roran. He has lived with them all his life, never knowing any other family. One winters day, while hunting, Eragon discovers a blue stone, unlike anything he's ever seen before. Unsuccessful in his hunt, he takes the beautiful stone home in hopes of trading it for some meat. When the butcher won't trade him, Eragon brings the stone home, hoping to trade it off at a later time.

Except, of course, it's no stone. With the help of the village storyteller Brom, who is more than he seems, Eragon goes on a journey. Its a journey of discovery, of searching, of fear and of hope. Its full of everything a good adventure should be. Along with Brom and Saphirra, his dragon, Eragon begins to learn what it means to be a Dragon Rider, and a man.

Eragon is a wonderful story, full of good guys, bad guys, swords, elves, myths and dragons. I am quite delighted with it!

I watched the movie first, and LOVED it, and so I knew I would like the book. What a delight to discover new characters! Solembum is definitely one of my new literary favorites! I loved learning the deeper plots and intricacies of the characters. The way they learn together, work together, fight together, and in the case of Eragon and Saphirra, grow together. I can't wait to read book two, Eldest.


No comments:

Post a Comment