Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Joust, by Mercedes Lackey


Ah, what a book! I have been waiting for this book for a while. Recently, I bought Robin McKinley's book 'Dragonhaven' and...much to my disappointment, I couldn't read it. (Never fear, though. I'm not giving up yet!) So, to ease my pangs over this book, I checked out 'Joust', another book about Dragons, from another beloved author.

Vetch is a serf. Which is worse than a slave. He is tied to the land that once belonged to his family, bound to serve the owners of the land. He is underfed and over worked. But one day, in the middle of a blazing hot afternoon, his life will change.

The land is protected by Jousters, riders of fierce dragons, loyal to the king. These Jousters fly patrols daily, searching the land and sky. Jouster Ari stops at the small farm where tala is grown specifically for help controlling the dragons one day for a drink of water, where he witnesses Vetch being beaten for something so small as the empty water bucket he had just drained to quench his own thirst. He then decides to take Vetch away, to be his Dragon boy.

Vetch doesn't know what to do with his new life. Compared to his old one, its easy, even though it does include taking care of Ari's dragon. His problem now, is how can he hate the Tians, that are being so kind to him? And how can he manage to get free and go back to his homeland, without feeling like he is betraying the people that are being good to him, and befriending him?

This is JUST the kind of book I have been itching to read. A familiar, beloved author, a beloved subject (I mean, come on. Who doesn't like dragons???) and a good plot, not too deep, but still really enjoyable. I've already checked out book two, 'Alta' and can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment