Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Poisoned Season


Having enjoyed very thoroughly my introduction to Lady Emily Ashton in “And Only to Deceive”, I was a little hesitant to start book two. I was anticipating in some ways, a repeat of book one, and I wasn’t sure that I would enjoy another mystery about Greek antiquities. After all, having found out her love of them in book one, WHILE solving a mystery about them, and studying ancient Greek…What else could the following books be about?

However, the lure of Victorian England (and Colin Hargreaves, I’ll admit it) drew me back in. Emily, now out of mourning, is very unwilling to give up the lifestyle she has become accustomed to…the studying, the reading, all of it. However, as she is young, widowed, and wealthy, she must, to some extent, dive back into the London Season, and all it brings(and her mother, of course, there to make sure she does it!).

This Season, no one can stop talking about two things: Charles Berry, who claims to be the heir to Marie Antoinette, and a cat burglar who steals all things that had once belonged to her. Emily is nonplussed, until a pair of earrings that now belonged to her dear friend Cecile, are stolen right out of her own home.

And so, here begins Emily’s next case. She is determined to figure it all out, but is hampered by many things…her mother, dead ends, and society beginning to shun her, to name a few.

I will say that I am so glad that I picked this back up. I can’t wait for the next installment…especially after what happens right at the end of the book…*swoon*! J

No comments:

Post a Comment