Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Green Rider


I picked up this book several years ago, while browsing at the library, checked it out, and read probably 4 or 5 chapters before getting distracted and forgetting about it. A good year or so later, a friend called me from the bookstore and asked if I had ever heard of the book called ‘Green Rider‘, and was it any good?

I sat there and thought about it, vaguely remembering two eccentric old sisters, a room full of magical objects, and the girl, Karigan, having a journey suddenly thrust upon her. Going off of that, I told my friend that she would probably love the book. So she bought ‘Green Rider‘, and its sequel, ‘First Rider’s Call’ and took them home, and promptly devoured them.

After hearing her talk about them, years later I asked my friend if I could borrow them for a road trip. Having just put down ‘Green Rider’, I’m now sitting here slightly giddy, as I always am after reading a good book.

Karigan G’ladheon,, of Clan G’ladheon is a merchants daughter who is supposed to be at school. But, after a fight which leads to her suspension, rather than face her father, and have to look at everyone, she runs away. Determined to make it home before the Dean’s letter reaches her father, she sets out right away. A day or two into her journey, she comes across a young man wearing green, wounded and all but falling off his horse. He makes her promise to bring the message in his satchel to the King, and with his last breath, warns her of the danger of the road, and to beware the shadow man. He then hands her his brooch, a small gold winged horse. The brooch of a Green Rider.

Thus begins the adventures of Karigan. She sets off, unsure of what she is doing, or where she is going, is hindered by dark forces determined to keep her from delivering her message, fights unheard of evil creatures, all the while keeping hold of her message. All she wants to do is go home…but will the brooch let her?

I can’t wait to start ‘First Rider’s Call’, and see what happens to Kari and her friends…!

No comments:

Post a Comment