Tuesday, November 17, 2009

One Good Knight


As I said the other day, I am going to do a read/re-read of some Mercedes Lackey. I have always loved her books, all of them. I love loosing myself in a tale of Valdemar, reading about the white horses that come and 'speak' to their chosen riders...More recently, I discovered Lackey's 'Tales of the 500 Kingdoms' books. I read the first one, 'The Fairy Godmother' and was hooked! How clever! To use traditional stories, traditional fairy tales, and turning it around onto the characters!

Andie, or Princess Andromeda, as her mother insists she is called, doesn't overly enjoy being a Princess. As princess of Acadia, she is supposed to act certain ways, do certain things (and also NOT do certain things) but all she really wants to do is read, and study.

Insert Dragon.

Nobody in Acadia has ever seen a real dragon. The Kingdom is so small, so seemingly insignificant, that Andie has no clue why a dragon would even come. So, the research begins.

When the court comes to the decision that, in order to appease the dragon, Acadia would offer up a virgin sacrifice weekly, nobody is overly thrilled. But, what other options do they have? However, when Princess Andromeda's name is pulled out of the lottery, she becomes determined to do something!

This story is great. A fun, entertaining read. It has just about everything...the Champion, the Princess, the Dragons, the bevy of virginal maidens, corrupt advisors...its a light, good read. I can't wait to keep up on this Mercedes Lackey kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment